Thursday, April 10, 2008

Answer boards & social searching

Wow, I'm finding the Answer boards so much fun.
They are very addictive & very easy to get side-tracked on.
I've posted a question & after doing that I've been looking at answers to other questions.
I've spent ages looking at other peoples questions & the subsequent answers, which reminds me so much of people who do research in our library.
Patrons have intentions of researching on topic and end up finding the topic they were researching but then they get involved in other totally unrelated subjects.
This phenomenon particularly happens when we have patrons searching the old newspapers on microfilm which we have here in our research room.
It's great to see Librarians leading the way with answers on the Answer Boards & it's even greater to see the general public appreciate the great work of the Librarians.
I can see the day when all libraries will offer an Answer board type service for it's patrons.

No comments: